When I say I had a hangover yesterday, I’m talking about the day or so after taking a test where I feel lost and confused in the world. The intense headache and self hatred that sets in is almost identical to a drinking hangover-except maybe less nausea with the test hangover.
I slept for maybe 12 hours and when I woke up, I felt like a bear coming out of hibernation-I was ready to eat the world. Luckily, we made turkey burgers last night and there was one burger left, so I had a nice template for my breakfast burger.
Here’s what I did Friday night:
I made these rosemary buns again from Seasons & Suppers, but I made it into 6 buns instead of 4 mini loaves. I also put some garlic powder and italian seasoning in with the olive oil and brushed it on during baking. This entire process, including the rising, only took around 3 hours. I made the dough in my mixer around 4:30 and had them out of the oven by 7:30. My breads have gotten significantly better once I learned not overflour the dough.
For the turkey burger itself, we generally use the same ingredients: 1 lb ground turkey, bread crumbs, minced onions and garlic, egg, italian seasoning, parsley, rosemary, salt, and pepper. I like adding grated carrots sometimes because it adds nice color and moisture to it. I also like using the ground turkey with the higher fat content because it makes the burger less dry, but sometimes I’ll buy the super lean kind if I’m not having a skinny day.
I almost panicked because we didn’t have any ketchup in the house. The big bottle was gone and I already went through my emergency stash. I love barbeque sauce too, but the kind we have tastes weird. The only solution was to make my own sauce.
When I say make my own sauce, I really mean throw a glass of red wine and some balsamic vinegar into the pan while the onions and mushrooms are cooking. It was such a great idea. It kinda tasted like barbecue sauce but way better.
For my burger this morning, I microwaved the patty and then put it on the bun with bacon cheddar cheese and provolone and stuck it in the toaster oven for a couple minutes so the cheese would melt. While that was heating up, I fried an egg real quick and sprinkled on some salt and garlic powder. I then microwaved the leftover mushrooms and onions and threw that on there. Oh and don’t forget about the avocado. I had a bottle of hot sauce next to me and put some of that on while I was eating it.
I scarfed this down in less than 5 minutes. This is definitely a messy burger but if this doesn’t cure your hangover/make you hate your life less then I don’t know what will.
Recipe: makes 4 burgers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 medium sweet onion, minced
- 1/4 bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- dash of rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 onion, sliced thin
- mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- red wine-around a glass or two
- couple spoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Make the patties: Combine all of the ingredients for the burger. Form them into 4 patties with a little dent in the middle so it won’t rise while cooking.
- In a pan over medium heat, add 2 Tbsp butter. When the butter is all melted, add the onions. You’ll probably cook them around 10 minutes so the onions will caramelize a little.
- When the onions look a little cooked, add the mushrooms.
- At this point, you can start cooking the burgers in a pan with olive or grapeseed oil over medium-high heat. Don’t forget to let the oil heat up before you add the burger!
- When the onions and mushrooms look almost fully cooked, add the wine, balsamic vinegar, and dijon mustard. I gave approximations because it depends on taste. It only took a few minutes to reduce and I tasted it to see what else to add. It was too tangy for me so I added a spoon of sugar. You can also add some pepper and garlic powder here too. Red pepper flakes if you want it a little spicy.
- Toppings are super flexible here. My first burger only had the onions and mushrooms and cheese on it but my breakfast burger had avocado, egg, 2 cheeses, and hot sauce. Depends on what you have and how messy you’re willing to get. 🙂