Bread and tomatoes are two of my favorite foods. So when I have leftover tomatoes and bread (or croutons), throwing them into a bowl to make “bread salad” is a no-brainer.
I made croutons the other day with leftover bread, and they definitely work well this recipe. It was just pieces of bread tossed in olive oil, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and baked in a 400 degree oven. You want to use stale bread instead of fresh so it doesn’t get soggy from the oil, vinegar, and tomato juices.
There aren’t many ingredients in this, but the basil and balsamic vinegar keep it from tasting bland. You can throw in red onions, mozzarella, cucumbers, or even a little bit of garlic. This is basically the same way I make bruschetta, minus the bread in the dish.
I’m also typing this with one hand cause my sweet boy always has to sit by or on me whenever I’m home.
Recipe: makes 1 big serving or 2 small servings
- 1 large tomato, chopped up
- few slices of stale bread, or toast some slices and chop them up
- few leaves of basil, julienned
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- a pinch of salt & pepper
- Toss all of the ingredients in a bowl and give it a good mixing. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Let it sit out for a half hour or so, until the all of the flavors blend together.
- That’s literally it.