I’ve been dying to make curried chicken salad ever since I tried it for the first time a few months ago at Rosewood Market. I finally picked up a pack of chicken from the store and realized this was one of the easiest things ever to make! We made 5 decent sized sandwiches out of this. The picture below is a little blurry, but by the time I realized it, it was too late cause we ate it all.
I put chicken thighs in the crockpot, but you could use chicken breasts instead or if you already have cooked chicken on hand, use that! Also, when I took the chicken thighs out of the crockpot, I almost went to pour the leftover broth out when I thought, “Wait…this is chicken broth. Why would I throw this away?” Luckily, I was on Facebook and saw this awesome recipe from the Pioneer woman-http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2015/01/tomato-soup-with-parmesan-croutons/. I had everything I needed to make this (and added the extra tomato sauce I had from the venison meatballs) and just threw it all in the crockpot after cooking the onions, garlic, and carrots on the stovetop. It was soooo good! It went great with the grilled cheese I made later that night. The Pioneer Woman has never disappointed me.
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 1 cup of water
- 2-3 Tbs mayonnaise, depending on how creamy you want it
- a squirt of dijon mustard
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 3 Tbs onion, chopped fine
- handful of cranberries, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- dash of salt&pepper
- avocado (optional)
- Put the chicken in the crockpot with about a cup of water for 6-8 hours on low. Go to class.
- When you come back from class starving (even though it’s only been 4 hours), peek in and see how your chickens are doing. If you poke them and they start to fall apart, they’re ready for shredding. I was skeptical about mine so I flipped them and gave them another hour.
- Shred the chicken and throw out the bones and any weird tendony pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the other ingredients except the avocado. But now that I think about it, avocado might be awesome mixed in there.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix everything up. You can put this on a roll, english muffin, or a pita! If you put it on an english muffin, definitely panini press it because room temperature english muffins creep me out. Also, add avocado if you want!